Have you ever tasted something so amazing, that it left you speechless? One bite, and all you could think of, all you could say is, “delicious”?
It’s crazy how something so inexpensive, homey and rustic, can be transformed into nuggets of pure pleasure. Once again, I’m not exaggerating. The process is incredibly simple – slice tomatoes in half, drizzle it with olive oil, and generously sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Absolutely no pretensions. Just leave it in the oven for a little over an hour, and true to form, the end product is more than the sum of its parts.
One bite from these little shriveled nuggets will make anyone a believer. Can something be incredibly sweet and tart at the same time? Yes. These roasted tomatoes are just that. Biting into the pieces is a sensory overload – the tomatoes have dried and caramelized perfectly, leaving a sweet, subtle exterior. Emphasis on the caramel. Chewing on the morsels releases its full flavor – the bright, refreshing, zesty tang that marries, and also tempers the saccharine taste perfectly.
The flavor of the tomatoes speaks highly of its versatility – I can imagine doing a lot with it. My only regret? I didn’t make a larger batch. But since the market is a stone’s throw away from our house, tomorrow then.
- 8 – 10 medium-sized tomatoes (Start with this batch and make more if you want. Trust me, you’ll want to)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a silicone mat.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, lengthwise. Arrange the tomatoes on the sheet.
- Generously drizzle it with olive oil, but don’t go overboard. You may pour the olive oil onto a tablespoon first then drizzle it over the tomatoes.
- Evenly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours, or until tomatoes have crinkled but is still partially moist.
- When done, remove from oven. Use as desired or place it in a clean bowl and drizzle it with more olive oil, cover it with cling wrap and store it in the refrigerator. Use when ready.